Thursday, January 21, 2016

Why I Love First Person Shooters: Five Reasons

      First person shooters have always been an exciting video game genre when games like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D were massive hits during the early age of its lifespan. It also seems like the genre itself is growing when we have games like Halo which is widely known as being an Xbox system seller and it's also one of the most successful exclusive for the platform itself. What about Call of Duty and it'spree of setting financial records? It's obvious that first person shooters aren't going anywhere and people are crazy over it? They might have their own reasons, but here are mine.

1. Something For Everyone: I love how first person shooters can be single player driven, but at the same time be multiplayer driven too. You have games like Doom or Half Life which are widely looked in high regards as being some of the best single player experiences that the genre can offer while Call of Duty or Battlefield can fix you up for your multiplayer fun. There are some games that can do both like the Halo series or Quake series.

2. Easy to Pick Up, Hard to Master: This is mostly relevant for the multiplayer side of first person shooters. I just love how since these games are easy to pick up, you can play with your friend easily even if he or she may not be as good as you. The most casual way to play a shooter is to run around and shoot anything that's a threat to you. I believe the fact that first person shooters are focused on this concept makes it easy for newcomers to play and get into. However, that doesn't mean first person shooter don't require a level of technicality.

The advance level comes from map knowledge, spawn knowledge, learning to use the weapons properly, timing items, crafting strategies, jump tricks, miscellaneous abilities like rocket jumping or button combos, and so much more.

3. The Feeling of Dominance: Most first person shooters tend to try to make the player feel like they are a force to be reckoned with. For example, in Doom, you're generally a space marine and you're fighting demons from hell; many of them all by yourself when you're playing the single player component. In Call of Duty, when I play the multiplayer online, it feels great when things are going my way and my killstreaks are up helping me and my teammates to victory.

4. Montages: First person shooters are widely popular for montages. I guess people just find it fun and exciting to see highlighted moments of a player taking out multiple players in quick succession. It can be an orgasmic experience too when watching them too if you know how the game is played. I believe the main reason why first person shooters are so appropriate to montages is because they are generally action driven. There's a lot of shooting and moving going on and I guess that kind of gameplay fits well with music and video editing all together. With that said, I love watching montages. It's always fun and exciting whether it's a montage based on a game I play or not because at the end of the day, it's really the action that's gonna steal the deal for me when it comes to the entertainment value.

5. id Software: I think the final reason should be the something that'll make a good closure to this blog. These guys were the pioneers of this genre and not only that, the Id Software from 1992 to 1999 in my eyes were the greatest video game developer ever. All the games they've made were really well designed and there's a lot of positive statements I can make to game a or game B. The fact that these guys really pushed themselves to make the first person shooter to be relevant back in the early '90s to being popular to this day is definitely a reason I have to put.

No comments:

Post a Comment