Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Beauty of Xbox One's Backwards Compatability


It's always great to play your favorite Xbox 360 games without needing to hook up your actual console to play these games. I was probably the only guy who was more interested for being able to play the original Doom and its sequel on my Xbox One than playing the highly anticipated Fallout 4 back in 2015. As you are reading this blog, there are many games that are highly requested for future backwards compatibility updates. Red Dead Redemption and the original Dark Soul were recently updated and what's next is yet to be confirmed from Microsoft.

I do have my own games that I would want to support, but since this blog is mostly comprised of first person shooters, why not mention the first person shooters that I would love to see and be able to play conveniently without needing my Xbox 360.


Quake Arena Arcade - I never ever thought that a game like Quake III Arena would actually end up coming to Xbox 360 back in 2009. Once I found out the rumors were true, I was definitely excited as you people should know; it was my first taste of first person shooter multiplayer carnage. This port was quite controversial when it was first released. There was already a free to play version called Quake Live released on the PC and most gamers generally prefer to play these frantically fast paced shooters with a mouse and keyboard due to the whole popular belief that aiming with a mouse is easier and more precise than aiming with a controller. Most people just didn't feel like it was worth the $15 at that time, but it's been reduced to $5.

I have my own opinions when it comes to that debate, but that's for another story. I pick this game because I had a great time playing it when there were a lot of people playing it back in late 2010 when it was released. The game itself was kind of like a recollection of Quake III Arena and its expansion's best maps including new maps which were mostly good. I really did enjoy playing it with a controller and I personally feel the fact that most people are going to have a challenge playing this game with a controller where I actually don't increases the enjoyment factor. It's just fun to stomp on kids and leave them feeling aggravated while playing. I also want this game to be picked because it's one of my favorite games and one of my favorites from id Software too. If this game gets updated, I can see more people will be playing it online and that means I can enjoy myself even more when playing against players rather than bots or AI controlled players.

Image result for duke nukem 3d xbox 360Duke Nukem 3D - This game was one of my earliest games I've played as a child with Doom. It is fairly similar to Doom, but it's also just as awesome too. I pick this one because I do think it's great that we have the classic Doom games being playable on Xbox One, but it's just kind of wrong not to have Duke Nukem. It definitely needs to be here and it's a game that stands the test of time and easily one of the best single player driven first person shooter I've played. Also, Duke Nukem is probably the coolest protagonist to a video game ever.

My all time favorite Call of Duty map: Crash.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - My all time favorite Call of Duty! I generally don't care much for single player when it comes to the Call of Duty series, but I absolutely loved the multiplayer when I was instantly hooked on Modern Warfare 2 and it made me want to go back and try out the original Modern Warfare which is this game. Call of Duty 4 definitely fits more of my style than Modern Warfare 2 as the game is more "run and gun" friendly. Basically, I'm trying to say it's more faster paced and require more aggression than Modern Warfare 2. I just think it's a better game when it comes balance and map design.

 I pick this game because I do feel like it needs this update to populate the game. It does have a decent amount of players still playing, but I do feel like it isn't the same when I was playing it rather religiously back in 2011-2012. I do miss the days when I can actually find games of Headquarters. It will also be nice if I can find multiple ground war lobbies and not just only 1 or 2 most of the time. Most importantly, if I need to find a lobby with better connection, having more players playing will resolve the issue.

Marathon: Durandal features an exclusive mode called Survival.  It's total carnage man.

Marathon: Durandal: - My favorite Marathon game. Obviously, it needs to be playable on the Xbox One just because of that. On a more serious note, I do want it to be updated to let people try it out because as a '90s first person shooter, it didn't really gain much attention compared to Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. I think if this game is backwards compatible, there's definitely going to be attraction if people find the game interesting enough while researching it. This game was like Quake Arena Arcade, the console port was fairly controversial as Bungie (the actual game developers) did release the entire trilogy all for free, but this port was very well done and the guys who did this port (Freeverse) were hardcore Marathon fans as themselves. It's basically a love service and that $10 was fairly priced.

That's pretty much it. I do got a lot more I can list, but I don't find them as beneficial or meaningful compared to the ones I wrote about.  What will I write about next on this blog? Tune in next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment